Red Pepper & Beetroot Soup
with Fika London
Red pepper and beetroot soup with herbed goat cheese toast
(Makes 5-6 portions)
0.5Kg English onions
450g Red peppers
- Peel both the beetroot and the carrots, and wash the peppers.
- Chop the vegetables into mire poix (small cubes).
- Lightly sauté the vegetables in oil, on a medium heat for 20mins.
- Add 2L of water and bring to boil. Simmer for around 25mins.
- Using a blender, blend the vegetables to desired smoothness....
- To make it super smooth you can strain the soup through a colander or sieve.
- Add Salt and Pepper to taste.
Fika London Profile
with Sadaf Malik, Head Chef
What is your favourite ingredient to use at the moment?
Marsh samphire - we are even using it in our cocktails. It is getting woodier at the time of writing, but it is still good!
In your opinion what is the most underrated ingredient?
Water - it doesn't get rated very highly but it is probably the most important ingredient that is taken for granted; both in terms of water content in vegetables and meats, but also as an ingredient to work with.
What ingredient do you have the hardest time finding?
It has been hard to find a good supplier of lingonberries.
What is your first memory of Nordic food?
My mum's cooking, of course. However, I do remember my grandma making 'fiskbullar' which is a fish dish - it was like heaven at the time but I am pretty sure I wouldn't like it now.
What is your favourite dish on your current menu?
24 hour gravad lax which is seared. This brings out the lovely salt flavour, perfect for the summer. You get the gravad lax as well as traditional texture of the salmon.
Fill in the sentence: People should expect_______ when visiting Fika London.
A warm Swedish welcome with fika aromas of freshly brewed coffee and just baked cinnamon buns, a laid back environment with traditional food such as gravadlax, herring and meatballs. We have a full bar with Scandinavian cocktails which can even be enjoyed on our fairy lit roof top. We want you to take pleasure in your break!